Support
Authorization

Newsletter

Settings

Tunnel through Chat software(AIM, Yahoo, GTalk)

Forums list
Topics list
New topics
Search
Rules
Help
Login: 
Register

Pages: 1
  Views: 9035Topic:: «Tunnel through Chat software(AIM, Yahoo, GTalk)» on forum: Famatech Software Good Wishes
If you offered the ability to tunnel through chat services it would a great way to get around firewalls and such.. This would be specially great for customer support needs.

The Mac OSX 10.5 Lepard already supports this through iChat.
I agree with this request too, and not just for customer support. It also helps authorized individuals to securely overcome difficulties in (perhaps understandably) rigid IT physical/configuration/procedural infrastructure. If the IT support people consider a static IP and port forwarding be jerry-rigging, risking the stability and security of the entire network (and that's what one IT support company recently told me!), then no Radmin without changing IT support companies, which is a huge pain just to get superior remote control.

But if Radmin could harmlessly tunnel out, or use existing tunnels (Skype, Google Talk, AIM/Pidgin, etc.), then it'd be much easier to get it administratively approved since it would have no network support/infrastructure changes required.

But I leave it to Famatech to determine the feasibility of this--even while repeating that I hope they do this ASAP. I know people who'd try Radmin TODAY were this in place.
Aye.

Let's hope they make good soon ... http://www.radmin.com/support/forum/read.php?FID=12&TID=13764

Until then there's still hamachi (so I understand - I've never had cause to try it out) ... http://www.radmin.com/support/forum/read.php?FID=30&TID=13769 ... but built-in has to be the way to go.
Edited: Paul B 03/27/2009 11:51:09
I saw those notes and that pinned Tech support note, but in a sense it'd be unfortunate to have to use Hamachi, installing a persistent layer of stuff and setting up a redundant level of encryption.

Also, as I recall, Hamachi was starting to place significant new limits on the free version, though I have not pursued just what those limits are, or their impact. I wonder if they will eventually pull the free version.

But in the meantime, I guess it works.

Does going through a Hamachi layer hurt performance, I wonder?

I also wonder, do people have much success with EchoVNC? Not sure if it would have a performance impact.
I wondered about hamachi and performance too.

Agreed about the unnecessary encryption burden. But ... being pretty ignorant of tunneling technology and methods ... how does that differ from Skype et al?
I'm not sure if it's any different. smile:| (Helpful, I know.)

I think basically all we need is a way to dynamically poke a hole in the firewall, as needed, and despite dynamic changes in IP address and router config.

This is done by piggybacking on allowed traffic to establish a connection that the router/firewall has no problem with, and then use it for Radmin (or Skype, or Google Talk, or whatever).

Hamachi adds encryption to the mix. If one deactivates Radmin encryption, and assuming one ends up with a direct peer-to-peer connection (i.e., not through the Hamachi servers except to establish the initial link, but expressly not for ongoing traffic), the performance may be very similar. Or not.

Some time I perhaps I'll be able to test this, but I still don't like the idea of having to give the naive user one more thing to worry about or log in to, nor do I want to have an ongoing live connection between the two machines (client and server) in question.

But I'm still open to the possibility that this is the best approach, at least for the short- to medium-term. Maybe long-term.

Anyone out there have experience using Hamachi for this reason? Has it hurt performance? Any of the Radmin support people care to chime in?
Thanks - I'm okay on the VPN bit; I think maybe I misunderstood your first post re Skype, which natively doesn't tunnel in a VPN sense.

I completely agree that hamachi (or similar) should only be considered a stop-gap.

I've tried running Radmin over the Team Viewer VPN and got dreadful performance smile:(

I'm sure that a more lightweight set-up would be better for Radmin, which already has adequate encryption.
FYI John

Just tried Hamachi and it's quite neat.

I had a bit of a mare installing it but I think that was a problem at my end. The install hung and I had to manually uninstall the network driver and hack out the registry entries before it would let me reinstall. It's okay now. But I haven't heard any horror stories about it on here so I do think it was just a glitch at this end. I installed it on a second machine and it went on fine.

Configuration is fairly straightforward. Is it any easier than setting up a port forward? No, not for me, but then I know what I'm doing with my router. But at least if you go down the hamachi route then as the support person there is only one set of instructions to work with.

The current licensing is free for non-commercial use. The link from the pinned post on the Troubleshooting forum isn't to the latest version. It's to an earlier one which I think was on a different license - so I'm not sure if the "old" link is deliberate.

However hamachi performs very poorly over my (admittedly very naff 0.5 Mb) broadband connection. Considering I've effectively only got half of that because both of the hamachi test machines are this side of the router it's hardly surprising. However at least TeamViewer VPN worked after a fashion - hamachi continually drops the connection.

Radmin aside I actually really like hamachi as a product. You can set up your own multiple VLANs and you have a lot of control over access, network groups and configuration. So I'm definitely going to hang on to it just for the VPN.

One neat feature of hamachi relating to earlier posts on this thread is that you can turn off encryption on a per VLAN basis. I tried doing this and although I think performance was improved, it still wasn't enough to allow hamachi to maintain the connection.

So as a VPN for Radmin use then TeamViewer VPN (also free for non-commercial) has the edge for me, but that's only because of my naff connection.

But as a product hamachi wins easily from what I've seen, and for most people I'm sure it's just fine for Radmin use. But as you say, it's one more potentially unnecessary thing to have to worry about.

Bottom line then - I'd still like to see a lightweight VPN built into Radmin! smile:)
Edited: Paul B 03/29/2009 11:52:52
There is a light of hope at the end: in the next version this issue will be solved completely.
Ooh, I like the sound of that! smile:D
Eugene,

Might I ask if the next version is 3.4 or 4.0? Just wondering so far as costs go (I personally have three unused 3.X licenses now, 1 used...). smile:) And this is (nowadays) a basic-enough functionality that it seems a point release would be appropriate, such not costing much revenue because this is more an issue for those who want to become new customers than those who are already successfully using the product as-is.

My apologies if this question is already obviously answered elsewhere.

Thanks!

John
And also, I certainly understand if this is a 4.0 feature instead. It'll just hurt, since I haven't personally used most of my 3.X licenses. smile:) (But I'm a very odd duck in that respect, I realize. And other respects, some would say. smile;) )
Paul B wrote:
The current licensing is free for non-commercial use.

Paul,

I should have mentioned that that was what I meant by new restrictions on the free version of Hamachi: it used to be free but technically limited for business users, too, but no more, so now if a business wants to use Hamachi to make Radmin work with their network/firewall with no reconfiguration, they need to buy a license for Hamachi. smile:|

Like you, I'm delighted that this will be fixed in the next version of Radmin. Version 3.4. smile;)
Pages: 1