Topics list
New topics
Search
Rules
Help
Login: 
Register

Pages: 1
  Views: 2614Topic:: «Dynamically create the title bar text in viewer, Reduce the effort required to identify active connections» on forum: Famatech Software Good Wishes
I've been using Radmin for 6 months and can't really complain. I would like to make one suggestion that would reduce the number of times I have flit between viewer windows. I've inherited a connection "address book" where many of the entries are simply labelled: "Server".

Each of these instances are found in a hierarchy of folders, which is great for choosing the connection I need to make. However, I can be working on a number of client's servers simultaneously but because each window's title bar is "Server" I have to check each one properly before deciding which to use.

The solution is build up a hierarchy of the clients in the 'Name of entry' field, which would distinguish each of the servers. This is quite TEDIOUS with many server entries.

Ideally, the software should create a string based on the hierarchy of folders where the connection is defined. This string is then placed in the title bar. To explain:

Code
root
|
+-+ Client 1
|
+-+ Client 2
|   |
|   +-+ Site 1
|   |   |
|   |   +-+ Finance Dept.
|   |   |        - Accountant
|   |   |        - Bookkeeper
|   |   |
|   |   +-+ Marketing Dept.  
|   |
|   +-+ Site 2
|       |
|       +--+ Finance Dept.
|
+-+ Client n

The current solution suggests the name of the Bookkeeper entry is: "Client 2 / Site 1 / Finance Dept. / Bookeeper". This is very clear. However, we need to dedicate a fair amount of time just to create these potentially long and repetitive connection entries as we acquire new clients.

If it could be achieved programmatically: the event to make the connection to the Bookkeeper resolves the path of the Bookkeeper entry as: "Client 2 / Site 1 / Finance Dept." Therefore the fully qualified name of the entry is: "Client 2 / Site 1 / Finance Dept. / Bookkeeper". This entry is placed in the viewer's title bar.

My hope of this approach would make the product that much more usable, and require less searching through windows.

Regards,
Keith
Thanks for sharing this one.
Pages: 1