Topics list
New topics
Search
Rules
Help
Login: 
Register

Pages: 1
  Views: 4097Topic:: «Functionality/Product advise» on forum: Famatech Software Good Wishes
Hello:

I'm looking for remote mng software that will allow me to teach my 87 year old father how to use his computer. I'm several states away. smile:)

Dad is slow, but more than coherant, lucid and fully capable of understanding basics. In particular, goal is to get him going with using a browser. I'd prefer it Mozilla.

I'm hoping to be able to...

- execute clicks/text box entrys/min & maximize windows... all with him being able to see on his screen what I'm doing remotely.
- I'd like to be able to see on my screen what he does... again, clicks (or mis clicks... eg: he has Parkinsons therefore mild hand tremors cause un-desired clicks sometimes).

So, essentially, I want to use your product as a teaching tool. Is this appropriate?

Also...
a) is/are there limitiations... eg will it allow me to work w/any GUI on a remote computer? If not, what are exceptions? I'm wondering, in particular, about GUI(s) built by developers who use "built from the ground up" GUI tools like Developer Express.

b) Are there Windows OS version compatability issues? EG W2K, XP, VISTA all fully supported?

Ok, thanks a lot.
Hello,
We provide a 30-days trial without any functional limitations and you can see if Radmin suits your need. Although you won't be able to see clicks, only their results.
Eugene: apology for sending IM... just a mistake (saw "message" button, thought it was for reply here).

I'll repeat question I sent:

Is "won't be able to see clicks" a limitation of trial version only, or licensed version as well.

Thanks
One last thing: I understand I won't be able to see clicks. I'm wondering if I can see mouse cursor on remote computer?

Thanks.
Hi Jim, and welcome!

I will try to clarify what Eugene was trying to say.

There are no limitations whatsoever in the trial version; what you see is what you get.

In my experience, with Radmin v3.x, you can see the remote mouse cursor if you are in "View Only" mode, but not in "Full Control" mode. (You will still be able to see your own mouse cursor either way, of course.)

There may be some circumstances where you won't be able to see the remote cursor, i.e. custom cursors, odd video modes, etc. And with the previous version of RAdmin (v2.x) you can't see the remote cursor at all.

Even if you can't see the remote cursor, RAdmin will still make an excellent remote teaching tool for you, IMHO. Eugene's advice was good: download and install the trial version (server on his side, viewer on your side), and try it out for a month to see what you think. If you decide you want to keep it, you can license the server side remotely.

smile:)
Thanks TSiE... appreciate clarification.

The deal for me & trials: as I said, dad is 1800 miles away. He's competent, but very slow. Getting him an install copy is several days, then arranging someone to come over there & set it up is more time. So knowing in advance limitiations is of use to me.

I've already been through the demo thing w/2 other similar products (which I'll leave unnamed): both were ok, but w/more than trivial (I'll call them) deficiencies.

I've poked around enough to now Radmin is well regarded and near "top of the heap" in this product category. So again, I appreciate your comments. For me, available time is a precious commodity, so knowing limitations up front matters. In particular, being able to see dad's "mousing" activity is high priority: he has Parkinson's (thus a mild hand tremor) and "rougue" clicks are a by product. Making him aware of when this happens, and what to do as correction is important.

And in the FWIW dept: please don't take my insistence on remote mouse functionality as a gripe... every single one of the other vendors 'lve looked at has approx -0- information on their pages re: issues I've asked about, and none has been responsive to my inquiries.

Thanks again.
This may get me in trouble, but that's never stopped me before. (There's a reason I won't go into that "in exile" is part of my screen name.)

You may be better served, at least for initial setup, by a product called TeamViewer. Unlike Radmin (at least the current version), it requires no router set up on the server side; in fact, they have an executable "Quick Support" module that doesn't even have to be installed. At the least, this may give you temporary access to your father's computer so that you can install and configure RAdmin for him. Best of all, it's free for personal use.

I just confirmed, as well, that TeamViewer has an option to show the remote cursor.

smile:)
Pages: 1