Topics list
New topics
Search
Rules
Help
Login: 
Register

Pages: 1
  Views: 5149Topic:: «Menu with available servers» on forum: Famatech Software Good Wishes
Since Viewer 3 displays a tray icon, it would be very convenient if in the right-click menu of the tray icon, a submenu existed under which all available servers appeared, just as they appear inside the Viewer window.
I rather like that idea. I usually turn off the Viewer tray icon option, but I might be more inclined to use it if this functionality were added.

smile:)
I'm glad someone likes it. smile:)

Each server entry in the menu could have one of the following:

- have a submenu containing connection-type entries (full control, view only, etc)
- when the server entry is clicked, a popup dialog with the connection-type entries could appear (no need for a submenu as mentioned above)
- a connection-type default value could be defined in the server's properties so when the menu is clicked, this connection type is established without any more questions, menu entries and popup dialogs

I think both options could exist (1 alone and 2+3 together).

In such a case, a "Start minimized" setting would also be nice in the viewer's properties.

Having that, the Viewer's main window would only be used for maintaining the servers list.
Edited: Anony mous 09/05/2008 11:41:02
The only down-side, of course, would be for those that have huge server lists. I've seen people here mention having as many as 1500 servers, and I myself have a couple hundred. That could make for a rather large and imposing context menu.

It's still a good idea, it would just need some fine tuning on the options.

Be aware, Famatech's schedule of new releases is not rapid by any measurement. While it is possible that this feature may make it into a future release, it's unlikely to be any time soon.

TekServer wrote:
The only down-side, of course, would be for those that have huge server lists. I've seen people here mention having as many as 1500 servers, and I myself have a couple hundred. That could make for a rather large and imposing context menu.

It's still a good idea, it would just need some fine tuning on the options.

smile:o Wow... Yes, in that case it's rather impossible to work. Perhaps the user could somehow select the entries that will appear in the menu and those selections could be limited (perhaps a separate UI could exist, similar to the existing one but it would be just for the menu, the folder depth would be limited and the server entries would be selectable only from the ones existing in the normal UI). That way the user could create a menu with only the most important/used entries. Perhaps loading/saving different menu designs would be useful (depending on the task at hand at a specific moment, the user could load the appropriate menu). Anyway, if the guys at Famatech find this interesting, i'm sure many enhancements for this will come up...

TekServer wrote:
Be aware, Famatech's schedule of new releases is not rapid by any measurement. While it is possible that this feature may make it into a future release, it's unlikely to be any time soon.

Yes, i know. I still remember how long it took to release v3...
Edited: Anony mous 09/06/2008 11:50:28
Yeah, a simple check box in the properties of each server entry in the viewer that says "Include this entry in tray icon context menu" would do the trick. Or maybe also a setting to auto-build the menu based on a certain number of most recently used entries.

I wasn't sure if you'd been around for the v3 wait and release, but now I notice that the registration date on your account is from 2005, so you've obviously been here at least that long, and you know how it is. Still, we can throw out good ideas and hope that they make it into a future release eventually.

smile;)
All these are nice ideas. I too hope Famatech guys will also like them and include them in a (near) future release.

I notice that the registration date on your account is from 2005, so you've obviously been here at least that long, and you know how it is

I've been here long before 2005, just hadn't registered at the forums, so yes, i know how it is. The situation seems somewhat better now though than what it was a couple of years ago.
I've been here long before 2005, just hadn't registered at the forums

Same here. And I agree, Famatech is getting better in many respects, including (relatively) timely update releases, and responsiveness to customer issues. They do still make some odd choices now and then, though.

Added to wishlist.
Thanks, Eugene. I do think that this was a good suggestion.

Pages: 1