Topics list
New topics
Search
Rules
Help
Login: 
Register

Pages: 1
  Views: 9792Topic:: «Getting Through a Filewall» on forum: Network management general discussion
We have situations where clients want us to be able to access their systems, but they have no idea what their Firewall is or how to open ports.

Is there some program we could create that would run on their end and open a port to us so that we could then run Radmin through that port?

I tried running Radmin Server on the remote machine and also running a program that made a TCP connection out of the remote into my local machine. I had hoped that this would open the port and I could then start the Viewer at my end and get through, but it did not work.
Configuring a proxy-server or a firewall isn't always easy and trivial. Who could consult you on this topic better, if not firewall's vendor?

Famatech doesn't develop proxy/firewall/router hardware or software, and thus cannot have all the information about configuring such software - and there are a lot of such software ranging from AtGuard to ZoneAlarm - and its undocumented functions.

Moreover, we provide technical support for Famatech's software; we have neither right nor possibility to support other companies' products.

Best regards,
Roman Makarov.

OOO Famatech
Technical Support.
Isn't that precisely the point? There are so many different firewalls and customers loose their passwords, so there has to be a solution that does not invlove changing their firewall.

Since posting the original message, I have found that several of the open source programs have an option for an "inverse connection" . This has the server initiate the connection to the viewer.

Having worked with Radmin for years, I would much prefer to use it in new installations. I like the interface and it works very well. But we need this feature. Do you have it or is there some way to simulate it?
I have found that several of the open source programs have an option for an "inverse connection" . This has the server initiate the connection to the viewer.

Radmin Server 3.0 will support this feature.

Best regards,
Roman Makarov.

Famatech
Technical Support.
I hate to say it and have avoided saying it in the past, but how can I continue to wait for 3.0 since it is already several years overdue?

Is there any chance that it will be released soon?
We're doing our best to promptly finish with Radmin Server 3.0 development. Currently it's not available for public testing and download. Radmin Server 3.0 should be presented at CeBIT'06 in March 2006.

Best regards,
Roman Makarov.

Famatech
Technical Support.
is there any chance V3 will have the ability to connect to a centralized server and "wait" for a client.

Example- we run kiosks that are connected to the internet, often on dynamic IP addresses or behind firewalls or routers that require configuration. Clients can install the pc and connect a cable, but not much more and business trips to configure routers are fairly expensive.

Dream Solution: if it were able to connect to an internet facing server hosted externally at our location, the pcs would initiate an outbound connection to the server hosted here and 'wait' for a client here to open a connection... the result is a secure connection without having to open ports (the connection is outbound and most firewalls are not set to stop outbound.)

Let me know,

Thanks,

Tim W
Tim,

That sounds like an excellent solution. Let us know if you find something that fits the bill.

Thanks,
Thomas Dietrich
Network Administrator
Basco Shower Enclosures
To answer dlap's question:
You should have your customer enable remote management on their firewall. You can then go in and configure it when you need to make changes, and charge them the big security consulting $$.

Good luck,
Thomas Dietrich
Network Administrator
Basco Shower Enclosures
hoe do they initiate remote management on their firewall? Do you mean portforwarding or simply clicking the remote assistance tab?
A lot of routers have external control via a web interface, usually just a tick box to turn it on.
Pages: 1