Topics list
New topics
Search
Rules
Help
Login: 
Register

Pages: 1
  Views: 13346Topic:: «Radmin and Symantec AV10.0, SAV 10.0 deletes Remote Admin» on forum: Network management general discussion
[FONT=Arial] smile:oops: Symantec Antivirus detects RadMin as a virus and deletes it if you don´t follow Symantec special instructions in order to avoid deleting. When running Remote Admin and SAV 10.0 machine becomes extremely slow. I followed all Symantec instructions in order to avoid deleting of Remote Admin but speed becomes more than ten times slower. After uninstalling SAV 10.0 machine returns to normal speed.
None of these options posted by Symantec work. I'm really ticked off about it!

I have excluded the c:\program files\radmin folder form server & client auto protect, and scheduled scans. I did the same for actions of each of the above.
Set to leave alone and log only.

I have spent hours of time on this problem and have all updates installed, I have tracked the log files to determine the scanning element causing the problem.

Every time a definition download takes place Radmin is completely removed.

I have reinstalled Radmin at least 20 times as I have tried to stop this from happening.

The programmers at Symantec stink! How do they write a program that has to have multiple exclusions? There should be one exclusion database that all portions of the program use so that you don't have to ***** your time setting the same exclusions over and over and over again.

Symantec has gone overboard on this one and has become the VIRUS!

Since they have caused the problem to this great administrative tool they should have a patch that removes it completely from the threat list.

I also feel that if Radmin is on the threat list then so should PC Anywhere!

Is this just a way for them to gain some kind of unfair competitive advantage? After all Radmin is better lighter and cheaper then PC Anywhere. Could this be an attack at the competition?
I was able to configure Symantec to work without removing the program by configuring the settings in Symantec System Center.

Configure the Server File System Protection > Actions > Security Threats > Log only. (this is not exact, I don't have it in front of me)

Also exclude the directory C:\Program Files\Radmin and exclude remacc.radmin from scanning (although this did nothing until I change the response to log only).

This whole fiasco thrilled my client. If I were famatech, I'd be furious.
I also feel that if Radmin is on the threat list then so should PC Anywhere!

Is this just a way for them to gain some kind of unfair competitive advantage? After all Radmin is better lighter and cheaper then PC Anywhere. Could this be an attack at the competition?

Of course this is a way to stomp on compitition. PC AnyWhere fits all of the critira that they use to mark Radmin as a threat excecpt for one. and that is because PC Anywhere is too fat to deploy over low speed networks.
--------------
...I just saved a bunch of money on my car insurance by switching to Gia...
PC Anywhere has not been turned into a Virus like RADMIN has.

Radmin is so fast and written so well that, after a few mods, has become a favorite virus. It's a great thing that AV programs pick it up.

Don't be lazy, but the 7 files for Radmin into NAV10's exceptions. And you're Done.
PC Anywhere has not been turned into a Virus like RADMIN has.

Radmin is so fast and written so well that, after a few mods, has become a favorite virus. It's a great thing that AV programs pick it up.

Don't be lazy, but the 7 files for Radmin into NAV10's exceptions. And you're Done.

How ridiculous! Since the program works so well that it can be misused, it should be classified as a threat? Great way to reward software that works exactly as described.

A virus? Protect and educate your user base about not clicking on random email attachments that you should be blocking anyway; don't assume the rest of us want our legitimate product tagged as malware. GoToMyPC goes straight through the firewall and is a bigger threat to my environment - you want to tag it as well? I don't. That's why I get paid plenty to do my job - keeping threats off the network through due diligence. What ever happened to monitoring your ports and reading your syslog output? Using Symantec to do that for you is a truer measure of 'lazy,' as you put it.

I suppose you support the bloat of MS and Symantec products? I guess we should rid the world of unix apps like Nmap and Snort since they work well and can be used for nefarious purposes? All lightweight apps should be banned in favor of bloatware! YAY!

You have syslog output - grep it. Why lean on Symantec to decide what is and is not a threat in such a case as this? They should at least offer a 100% method of ignoring this product. The ONE time a new update decides to block it again - some of us are screwed.

-j
When we initially went to RAdmin, we ran into this same problem.

I used an installer program to create an .exe that would install RAdmin files, but also make the registry changes in order to stop SAV from detecting it as a Virus. I also added exclusions for the Windows Firewall while I was at it.

I'm pretty sure I posted the contents of the .reg file that would disable detection by SAV. We have it running on about 400 PCs now and have no problems, even after doing SAV upgrades.
Found it... http://www.famatech.com/support/forum/read.php?FID=11&TID=9220&MID=21665&phrase_id=2379083#message21665
Pages: 1