Topics list
New topics
Search
Rules
Help
Login: 
Register

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next
  Views: 122761Topic:: «Radmin v3 Beta - Remove how to tray icon» on forum: Famatech Beta Testing
Iam unable to find any options to disable the tray icon.

i have looked through help and seen which reg key is able to make it hidden with no luck?

Does anyone know how to do this, or if it is an issue?

Tim
The tray icon cannot be disabled because of security reasons.
Svetlana Yastrebova wrote:
The tray icon cannot be disabled because of security reasons.

I was under the impression that the hide tray icon feature was not included in this initial beta in order to receive cleaner testing results. Your statement implies that hiding the tray icon will no longer be a RAdmin option, even in the final release.

Is this assumption correct?
Svetlana Yastrebova wrote:
The tray icon cannot be disabled because of security reasons

With Pat, I am concerned aubout this statement. The option to hide the tray icon won't be activated in coming releases?

If so, this is a BIG problem for us. We absolutely don't like an opportunity for our employees to fiddle with the Radmin settings and certainly wont give them the chance to close radmin server easily.

Could you please reply?

Regards,

Michel Uphoff
We are also very disturbed to find that we no longer be able to hide the tray icon!

What exactly is the security reason?

If this feature is not to be incorporated, we have no choice but to switch to other remote control products.
Robert Pan wrote:
If this feature is not to be incorporated, we have no choice but to switch to other remote control products.

We are on the same boat. Please try to address the "security" issues by some other ways.

Thanks
for all who wants hide icon your stuck at 2.2 and want to use 3.0 beta work backwards to 2.2 download the older version
http://www.radmin.com/download/rviewer3.exe
I have a feeling this is how they got symantec and other virus vendors to take off radmin in their defintions.
eric vb wrote:
I have a feeling this is how they got symantec and other virus vendors to take off radmin in their defintions.

I tend to agree but as it stands now Radmin 3 can't install its self silently+

So I don;t think that this is really an excuse. Personally I hope that the hide tray icon option is in the final release (Or next build)
--------------
...I just saved a bunch of money on my car insurance by switching to Gia...
It's really so. We have disabled 'disable tray icon' option because of the security and privacy reasons. I understand that some of our users will not be pleased with this feature as well as some time ago when we disabled blank passwords. However we believe that this decision will help us to provide more secure use of our product.
I can understand the privacy issue from the end user standpoint, but at least incorpate a password in order to allow for any settings chances. If not, end users can disable pretty much all the features of the remote admin (or the one they don't want us having) and it would be hard troubleshoot connection issues if they disabled something. We (admins) are going to practically have to be physically at the pc..

I'm sure that Famatech is trying eliminate themselves from situations that might involve lawsuits due to privacy issues, but their are ways to prevent end users from making changes by simply requiring passswords to make any Radmin Server changes.

The way I see it, implementing passwords to make settings changes is a very good security feature.

Now allowing an end user to stop the server, is a really bad no no. This should also have a password feature. If an end user stops it, it will be hell trying to walk someone through on how to start it back up, especially when I remove the folder from the All Programs under Start Menu. I like to limit user interaction with stuff they know nothing about.
I can take it no more. I have never posted here before but I have monitored the posts for a long time. I have been a user of Radmin since version 1. Not allowing for the task bar icon to be hidden or at least totally password protected is rediculous. I absolutely love your product, but this would be one of those deal breakers that would force many of your customers to search for another solution. I think you have an obligation to your customers and yourselves to ask some tough questions, such as what type of product you should supply to insure that you retain and grow the market that was targeted in the beginning. Don't make the mistake of thinking loyal customers won't jump ship if you start making decisions to take the easy way out. You have dedicated yourselves to producing a stable and dependable product that isn't bloatware, this decision does not provide a stable product in the real world!
Dmitry Kurashev wrote:
We have disabled 'disable tray icon' option because of the security and privacy reasons.

Dmitry,

If there wont be an option to protect that tray icon with a password, I think most administrators will buy other remote access software.

I certainly will.

It is totaly unacceptable for me to give 350 employees the opportunity to alter and close Radmin server.
Even a piece of c**p as *********** has the possibility to hide the tray icon (by adding a reg. key).

Would you please announce there will be a password option in coming releases?

Regards,

Michel Uphoff
Dmitry Kurashev wrote:
We have disabled 'disable tray icon' option because of the security and privacy reasons.

Dmitry,

But THIS is what I read in another thread:

Unfortunately Radmin Server 3.0 beta 1 doesn't support hide tray icon option.
Best regards,
Roman Makarov.
-----------------
Robert Pan
Why this useful function is removed in Radmin 3.0? Will the full version have this function? It is almost useless for me if I can;t hide the tray icon.
-----------------
Will the full version have this function?
Sure.
Best regards,
Roman Makarov.
-----------------

Regards,

Michel Uphoff
I'm sorry I gave you wrong information.

Best regards,
Roman Makarov.

Famatech
Technical Support.
Shouldn't the users be the ones to decide if the tray icon is there or not? Famatech should leave the option to hide it available. Their 'security' concerns can be overcome by setting it by default to always visible - that way they are 'protected' because the user had to change it - not recommended by Famatech.

Plus if the icon is there, common sense dictates that it be secure from tampering (just like the rest of the program) including unauthorized changes being made to the server.

I currently have it visible on some computers, but some I don't. That is my choice and it works in our environment.

Don
Dmitry Kurashev wrote:
It's really so. We have disabled 'disable tray icon' option because of the security and privacy reasons. I understand that some of our users will not be pleased with this feature as well as some time ago when we disabled blank passwords. However we believe that this decision will help us to provide more secure use of our product.

Perhaps you should offer two different versions of your software, a home/telecommuting version and a professional version which includes the hide tray icon feature. For home/telecommuting it is perfectly understandable that hiding the tray icon could be an issue, because of unauthorized installs. However, removing the hide tray icon makes your software unsuitable for corporate and educational environments.

Another option would be to make RAdmin compatible with Active Directory group policies. The hide tray icon feature could be a policy rather than an option in the server interface.
I would also like the icon to at least be secured with a password. The thought that a user could change settings within RAdmin 3.0 is disturbing! Being able to see the icon is not an issue for us. I can understand that you have changed this for those folk who decide to use your product as a hacker tool, and at least this way we will see if it's running on your system.

This is something that needs to be addressed in RAdmin 3.0, not a future release. Please guys, don't let us down this time.

Garth
I'm not sure that Famatech understands the severity of this change.

This is not at ALL like the blank password change which was mearly an inconvience.

Without the hide icon ability my users can do all sorts of things they should not be able to do. I can absolutely guarantee I will not use v3 in its current state.

Even symantec has their icon password protected.
We support 1500+ workstations using version 2.2 I too, have to stress how important it is to have password protection to prevent users from changing settings. If they have the ability to do that, this product will be useless to our support group.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next