Topics list
New topics
Search
Rules
Help
Login: 
Register

Pages: Prev. 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next
  Views: 111411Topic:: «Radmin v3 Beta - Remove how to tray icon» on forum: Famatech Beta Testing
It's really so. We have disabled 'disable tray icon' option because of the security and privacy reasons. I understand that some of our users will not be pleased with this feature as well as some time ago when we disabled blank passwords. However we believe that this decision will help us to provide more secure use of our product.

This is patently absurd. Microsoft XP's Remote Desktop Connection doesn't even have any sort of status icon. And in Apple's Remote Desktop, the status icon is controllable and requires administrator authentication to allow config changes. Both of these products are installed by default, though disabled.

If you absolutely must keep the icon unhidden, at least restrict confg changes to administrators and make it possible to hide or restrict access to the current connections information as well.
Well, I'll be one to say that this revelation/flaw/mistake will stop me from waiting any longer for a final version 3. I've reached that point where I throw up my hands to the remote administration gods and just accept that it is time to move on.

For some users I'll use 2.2 until Vista or whatever OS stops it from working, but on most I'll be moving to ******* as our new shop remote program. Not as fast and it has a some bloat, but it works on my Cingular 8125 (HTC Wizard) and I can hide the tray icon with the Network Console - free if you sign up for 5 or more computers. I'm only paying a little over $5 per PC per month (much cheaper than ********), and at least I have a realiable product sans hype and last minute switcheroos.

Sure, it concerns me that my firewalls are circumvented, but I'm learning to live with it - especially with remote laptops available anywhere in the world with zero reconfiguration. Thanks, Famatech, for forcing me to try a new product that is lesser than yours only in speed. In all other ways it is superior. I can draw on the remote screen to show a user something and I can print remotely.

Mainly, however, I'm just glad to be away from the carrot I can't reach.

Hope you're subscribed. This post won't be here long. Good luck to everyone with this.

-J
Dear Roman,

Not including the hide tray icon option is indeed a big mistake and will most likely reflect in your sales...
I highly recommend that you will reconsider your decision.
Roman:

I use this to remote to/from my work. but also to be able to monitor my kids' use of the computers at home.

They know I can see what they are doing, but they don't know how. As their father, I want to keep it that way. Being able to alter the config and server through the tray icon DOES NOT work for me.

I'd rather keep version 2.2 or get another product because of this feature alone.
If they have the ability to do that, this product will be useless to our support group.

Kecin, could you please describe in detailes why Hide Tray Icon feature is so important to your support.

Dear Roman,
Not including the hide tray icon option is indeed a big mistake and will most likely reflect in your sales...

Actually i'm not responsible for making such decisions.

Best regards,
Roman Makarov.

Famatech
Technical Support.
Roman, it's not hiding the tray icon that concerns me, but we can't have our users changing security settings like rights, passwords etc. You can leave the icon there, just give us a way to prohibit end users from changing anything.
I would have to agree with those requesting the ability to hide the tray icon. For some of us this is essential.
I understand that from a Famatech security stand point hiding the icon opens Radmin to be used by hackers, as it has in the past, and eventually lead to spyware and av products to detect radmin as a ***** application.
So maybe the solution here is to enable the option to hide the icon only per request, by "enterprise" licensing or something along those lines.
Personally my concern is also the ability of users to change setting. As a matter of fact I can deal with having the tray icon as long as the users don't have the ability. So maybe what's needs to be incorporated is the ability to have only local (machine) admins change setting. Users with only local user right should not have such abilities. In our enviroment very few users have full local admin rights so this would defenitely be an option for us.

Well I really hope Famatech reconsiders or atleast takes in to account our requests. I really like what I've seen so far but I can just imagine the problems we'll have with users changing/stopping radmin server on the workstations.
Roman,

I believe if you performed a pull you would have a responce somewhere around 80-90% of Radmin users would RATHER have hide tray icon and have it picked up by Symantec (see we can tell symantec to not pick it up so its really not a big deal).

But having the icon unhidden is just unacceptable. Did you know that Altiris's Carbon Copy solution is hidden by default, yet Symantec does not pick it up ?

Regardless bring back the hide tray icon it is a CRITICAL feature. I will happily deal with telling Symantec to ignore it.

Actually i'm not responsible for making such decisions.

Best regards,
Roman Makarov.

You may not be responsible for making such decisions, but then again making such a statement and then failing to offer to take the issue to those who can make such a decision reeks of the infamous "it's not my job" mentality. Tou will lose even more customers when you do business like that.

And I think when your company has to lay off loads of people (because you angered your paying customers), then you'll likely wish you had done more to help out...

Don't be part of the problem, be part of the solution!
David Matson
Consultant, Freelance Writer, Product Reviewer
Moderator at MobilitySite, GPS Tuner
Microsoft MVP Mobile Devices - Testing
Hiding the tray icon is very important. If you do not want to have an option to hide the icon, an option to password protect the settings must be installed. Allowing a user to change the settings, passwords, usernames, stop and start server completly ruins the product as a remote administrator for certain companies and or schools. If a school decided to use it, it would not be practical as the students being high schooler and such love to disable whatever they can. So please radmin either put the option back in, or password protect the settings and the stopping the server. I really think it should be up to the end user as to whether or not to hide the icon. And honestly id rather virus scanners find it as possible spyware or whatever and they should make the default action to ignore and let it continue than to not have a tray icon. let alone lets not forget the obssessive people who prefer less icons in the taskbar.... like me...its very upsetting and nerve racking... im sure there is a way to compromise or something but taking out a feature is not very smart.... and i wouldnt even compare it to blank passwords as that is a very violation of password security nowadays, that was needed. on the topic of that i really hate having to enter username and pass everytime, there should be an autosave checkbox.
There is a workaround to this problem. You can use SysTrayX (http://www.xdesksoftware.com/systrayx.html) to hide the icon and any other icon you wish to hide from the systray (and even from the STX menu itself). Then you can password protect STX menu and u r done.

I still hope Famatch will add this option to their upcoming product of course, as it is much simpler to use the function when it's built-in.
Kecin Schwartz wrote:
Roman, it's not hiding the tray icon that concerns me, but we can't have our users changing security settings like rights, passwords etc. You can leave the icon there, just give us a way to prohibit end users from changing anything.

I just tried, and it looks like you can't get to the server settings dialog box by right clicking on the tray icon unless you are in the Administrators group (at least on Win 2k Pro). Does that help?

Anyway, now it doesn't make an obnoxious noise on the remote computer (that cannot be supporessed easily) when you connect.
Jim
Don't be ridiculous, you don't have to show the icon. This is a huge deal with us and you will lose many.
I too have been a Radmin user for many years. Hiding the icon is a very important feature for me. I use Radmin to monitor my kids computer use (teenagers, close the door etc) and also my employees, especially when I am out of town. The feature that allows one to view the remote screen without the user knowning is very very important. On top of that, I cannot believe a user without admin privileges can be allowed to change settings. That is unheard of!

As for the NAV issues, I understand the marketing problems, but there has to be some other solution. You may gain some buyers but you are going to lose your client base.

Maybe add something that happens on installation that alerts the computer user so that the program cannot be simply installed by a hacker without one knowing it. Or maybe the icon can be turned off after a certain number of days or something that will allow legitimate users to implement the features we need, and yet warn others of illegitimate installations.
" . I use Radmin to monitor my kids computer use (teenagers, close the door etc) and also my employees, especially when I am out of town. "'

Wouldn't THEM knowing they are being or might being monitored a good deterrent in itself? I don't understand why you have to be undercover to monitor anyone? Please make me understand.
" . I use Radmin to monitor my kids computer use (teenagers, close the door etc) and also my employees, especially when I am out of town. "'

Wouldn't THEM knowing they are being or might being monitored a good deterrent in itself? I don't understand why you have to be undercover to monitor anyone? Please make me understand."

I do the same thing.....my kids KNOW that I can monitor them, and that I do (if one won't get off when I tell them, I can remotely shut down the computer)....but without the icon, they never know when I am or when I am NOT monitoring them.

Sure, knowing that I can monitor is a deterence, but not know WHEN makes it an even more effective tool. IMHO.
I see what you are saying but I can't say I agree smile:-) All parents are different.

They don't need an icon to know if they are being monitored. Sure they might not know now or are too young to know but just running netstat from a command prompt would let anyone know you are connected.
Sorry folks but I've never gotten into this thing of using RAdmin has a monitoring tool, let alone a stealth one. I use RAdmin mainly to remote control my kids' computers to maintain them. If they thought they could disable it, they wouldn't because they benefit from what I do. For example, on "Patch Tuesday" I login to each one and visit MS Update. I can fix problems or make tricky configuration changes without having to wade through the mess in their rooms smile:)

My son recently got into some trouble over computer usage and now he 'invites' me to monitor him (only way he can use it for now). I might monitor my kids with their knowledge (all servers are set to ask for approval, then allow on timeout) but that's it.

Stealth monitoring gives me the creeps. And if that's what the majority of customers want to do with RAdmin then the spyware guys might as well detect it
because that is what it is --- literally --- spyware.

I have a feeling the bigger chunk of the market is remote control, not spying.

If your kids are smart enough to know that the ever-present icon changes color when a connection is present they aren't far from knowing how to run 'netstat' to see if there's a connection.

As for the concern about users changing server settings, my experiments show that they simply can't, if they are not running as Admin.
Jim
No, this wouldn't be good enough for us. All of our users have local admin rights to their workstations. I don't want to hear all the reasons as to why they shouldn't be. I know them all and the decision is out of my hands. What I need is password protection to the settings, or the ability to hide the icon. Either one will work. I love this product. We have been using it for about 4 years, but if this is left as is, we'll go to something else. Thats just the way it is.
You know. im sick of all this beta and hide stuff. Radmin can u please released me like a 2.3 version with 2.2 with transperency support. thats all i want or care about.
Pages: Prev. 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next