I too have noticed that in some sessions device or machine disconnects result in a whitescreen-hang for anything up to 60 seconds, depending on device.
1] on systems running a web server with either either a Windows hosts file alias on 127.0.0.1 or else an alias in either host headers or vserver config [e.g. httpd.conf then the scanner can and usually does misreport the machine name as one of the "aliases" or host header names: in most instances machine name should match netbios name.
2] on devices such as routers, printers, wifi, switches, which DO have a netbios and/or fully qualified host name, the scanner is not reporting these netbios names at all.
3] Virtual machines running under either Virtual Server or Hyper-V do not appear to show their hostname or fully qualified domain name or [where relevant] their Netbios name. However a virtual's host machine does show correctly on its first [unshared] NIC.
I installed the program and noticed that there was no option to add an icon to the desktop, Simple to do but a nice choice anyway. The program seemed to run fine, except the I noticed that there is a need to remove the older version before the new one is installed. After running the program from the installation routine and exiting, I came back later and all the links that were on the system would only bring up the 1.5 version of the product.
I had to uninstall all of the versions and instal 2.0 again to make it work again. It would be nice for the program to remember the previous settings (i.e. ip ranges and column widths).
When I ran the program the first time it found lots of systems with expandable links and then I ran it later and only two systems were found with expandable links in the list. Noi changes were made to either the network, systems or settings.
OS Name Microsoft Windows XP Professional
Version 5.1.2600 Service Pack 2 Build 2600
Processor x86 Family 6 Model 15 Stepping 10 GenuineIntel ~1596 Mhz
Processor x86 Family 6 Model 15 Stepping 10 GenuineIntel ~1595 Mhz
Intel® PRO/Wireless 3945ABG Network Connection at 54Mbs transfer rate
Install was fine using the .msi.
- A scan log would be handy if we had an option to append to a file on every scan. Just because results are not always the same.
- somewhat slower than v1.5 and does not provide dead ip's.
- at least v2.0 picked up domain machines that were not associated to my workgroup.
I'm going to test this on a few Windows 7 64bit machines now.
The main display is tidy and seems to fit easily inside the dimentions of most monitors. I think it would be a nice touch to test the size of the screen and the size of the strings in the display fields and make them so that all of the data is visable.
It's just a little bit irritating that all the usefull data is clipped and I have to spend the first 30 seconds resizing all the columns.
Also- I would find it handy to be able to RightClick on an item (eg MAC address) and be able to copy that directly.
Installed on Windows 7 74 bit - runs fine. here's my feedback.
1. A bug I think - every IP address (including ones for which there is not a host) show that they are running HTTP. Clearly this is not true.
2. Possibly a bug, but if not then a suggestion: When I export the list as XML, the shares do not appear within the row item (pardon me if I do not use the correct XML terminology). For example, the saved list contains the following for a server with some shares:
Installed on my Win 7 64 bit computer with no problems. It found all the devices on my LAN correctly. I like the ability to connect to a remote computer using Radmin (the computer I most often connect to often changes its IP address so this is an easy way to find it).
I installed the scanner. Untill now it works OK. The one thing I am missing now is that I am not able to import settings from the existing Radmin into th Radmin function within the scvanner, so I have to manually fill in the necessary details before I can control the remote computer.
I installed it and so far everything here seems to be working pretty well for me.
I do, however, have a suggestion. I think it would be very useful to have command line switches so it would be possible to schedule certain tasks with the task scheduler and/or batch file. For and example you could have it shut down all the computers in a saved XML file at one time.
I tried it at my university and it found about 256x256 IP addresses. The ones that I recognized were correct. It took a while (at least a couple of hours - I left it running when I left for the day and then checked on it from home using radmin).
P.S. The computer was running Win 7 x 64 ultimate.