Topics list
New topics
Search
Rules
Help
Login: 
Register

Pages: 1
  Views: 4633Topic:: «Dynamic DNS, Obtain IP address automatically» on forum: Radmin 3.x Troubleshooting
The computer that I want to control is behind a router/modem. It has a LAN IP of 192.168.1.x and I can't use this to connect over the internet.

It also has ADSL connection and dynamic IP address. Is there a way to find out what the IP is without bothering my brother every single day to tell me what the IP is. I have heard of DynDNS.com. I have read it, but I am still a little confused how to use it.

Can someone tell me how to use DynDNS to get the computer to tell me remotely - to report to me over the internet what the IP is. Could someone give me step by step instructions how to use DynDNS with Netcomm NB1 router and Siemens Speedstream 6520 (My brother regularly interchanges between them) i.e. the method to use and setup DynDNS to report to me my brother's IP address.

I also head about port forwarding, how do I do this?

Thanks

Emma
Hello,

If you can connect via his dynamical IP, you don't need port forwarding. DynDNS.org actually has a step-by-step instruction:
http://www.dyndns.com/support/kb/dyndns.html
Thanks. But I thought that you do need port forwarding for Radmin - I read the other posts here and it says Radmin needs port forwarding. Could you please explain this for me?

Portforward.com even has a section for 'Remote Administrator'

Thanks
Edited: Emma C 05/18/2011 01:26:03
If you have an external static IP, you can connect directly, if you have an external dynamic IP you need DynDNS, if you have an internal IP you need port forwarding.
I'm still not that clear - My brother has an ADSL connection with dynamic IP xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx but his computer has an IP of 192.168.x.x. So what do I do in this case? for port forwarding?
You need to forward any port on his ADSL. At example 4899.
RAdmin viewer works fine with host names instead of IP addresses. Use the host name instead of the IP address in the viewer's connection config. I have set this up for both 1) the first computer to connect to within a network (the computer that the router forwards port 4899 to) using a dynamic DNS name, and also 2) using host names within a network instead of IP addresses. As long as that first computer can resolve the DNS name to IP address, scenario 2 works fine. These two types of name lookups are independent of each other, so you can mix and match FQDNs on dynamic DNS host names, private network host names as defined in a hosts file or DHCP server DNS queries, with IP addresses.

You don't need to know your brother's router's public IP address if you have a DynDNS set up. You only need to know the dynamic host name you created on DynDNS and configured your brother's router to use.

- You have to create a DynDNS account, then a host to use for your brother's Internet connection.
- You have to configure his router to use the DynDNS host entry, by connecting to the account you set up.
- You have to port-forward 4899 on your brother's router to the local IP of the local computer you want to RAdmin to. That's the LAN IP of 192.168.1.x that you mentioned.

Sorry, I can't give you router-specific menu choice, etc. instructions as I don't have those devices.

In your RAdmin viewer on your computer you put the DynDNS host name you created in the IP or hostname field of your connection entry for your brother's computer. When you connect to that you are sending an incoming connection request on port 4899 to your brother's router, which will forward that request to the local computer and you should get a username and password prompt. Enter the username and password you set up on his computer's RAdmin server in the permissions area of settings.

One other thing I strongly recommend is enabling IP address restrictions. It's in the Settings -> Options on your brother's computer. You will need to know your computer's public address. You can use www.whatismyip.com or similar site to get your router's public IP. Enter that in the allowed list on your brother's computer. This keeps the hackers and bots on the Internet from hacking into your brother's computer. If your Internet connection is also a dynamic one (most are) then occasionally when you try to RAdmin to your brother's computer, instead of getting the login window you will get an IP address filter restriction error dialog box. Then you need to go to a web site like the one I mentioned here and get your new IP address, then get your brother to update the allowed list in his RAdmin server settings -> Options to allow this new IP and remove the old one.
Rod C--
http://www.en-consult.ca/images/RAdmin/basic1.jpg
http://www.en-consult.ca/images/RAdmin/basic2.jpg
http://www.en-consult.ca/images/RAdmin/basic3.jpg
Pages: 1