Close
Login::
Password::
Forgot your password?
Register
Login

Pages: 1
Error in Advanced IP Calculator

For Network types Class A and Class B allright.
For Network type Class C - Subnets - for all "Mask" all "Mask bits" are on 1 unit bigger:
Mask 255.0.0.0 - Mask bits 9 (must be 8).

I'm about to network from England to the UK since I update websites and want to be able to work on my USA machine from the UK. Can anyone give me any pointers on doing this. I am a networking mature student and build web sites for a living in the States.
Heidi :?:

There is no such mask as "255.0.0.0" for class C network. Please, describe detailed what input value do you enter and there is wrong value - i can fix it in no time.

You can also contact me via support@famatech.com

Best regards, Gregor Petrov, Famatech Support Team

Gregor Famatech Support!,
I have also come across the originally reported issue... maybe I can explain it a little better:

When you choose Class C network, it is not possible to choose a subnet mask of 255.255.255.0, thus using all 8 bits of the last octet for hosts. The best you can do is 255.255.255.128 which reserves 1 bit for subnet and only 7 bits for hosts. In other words, the calculator does not provide the option for zero subnet bits.

Can you fix? Thanks,

-Nate

This is done due to IP subnetting RFC (i.e., it's a standard). "IP Address Calculator" is used to calculate subnets and other parameters of IP using standards defined in RFC.

Best regards, Gregor Petrov, Famatech Support Team
Best regards, Gregor Petrov, Famatech
Pages: 1