Topics list
New topics
Search
Rules
Help
Login: 
Register

Pages: 1
  Views: 10180Topic:: «Enhancement to IP filtering, for users connecting with dynamic IP» on forum: Famatech Software Good Wishes
I think it would be a nice enhancement to IP filtering if you could enter a machines hostname and domain instead of an IP. This would help because I can't use filtering currently because most of the people who connect to me have dynamic IP addresses. They do however have a static host name with domain assigned to their machine using free services such as DynDNS. This way when Radmin gets the IP address of a connecting machine it could see if any of the names (machine.gotdns.org) resolve to match that IP. Thanks
We don't plan such option, since hostname and domain instead are not unique identifiers at all.

As you write yourself, most of the people who connect use hostnames assigned to their machine using free services such as DynDNS.

These hostnames can be assigned to anyone. They are not permanent and may be assigned to another computer next week. DynDNS is dynamic DNS - just like dynamic IP. So it seems Radmin's IP Filter is not for you. :-(

Best Regards,
Ilia Demenkov, Famatech support team (support@famatech.com).
The host names can be assigned to anybody but if I cancelled my account with DynDNS I would remove that host and domain from my filter settings. The only way somebody else can get that host and domain is if I choose to get rid of it. The IP will change but the name is static hence the reason for setting it up. I host FTP servers, web sites etc using the host and domain through DynDNS and I've never had to change it so I don't see your point. If my IP changes my router updates it on DynDNS so that my host and domain name still point to me.
Sometime dynamic hostnames can't be resolved to IP addresses.

Best Regards,
Also, DNS names are usually given by automatically by your ISP. These DNS names are not convenient at all, but they will point to your dynamic IP and it's impossible for somebody else to get it. You would only need to put this DNS name in once (ip filter settings) and you wouldn't have to use it again. For this reason, your suggestion would be highly beneficial. I agree with guest, why not implement the option? The people using this program should have enough common sense to make sure their domain name is never given out.

Even though somebody might receive your domain name, don't they need to know what your RAdmin password is in order to make a connection? It shouldn't matter if somebody else get's your DNS, because they would need the password to connect anyway.

Sounds like a good idea to me, Guest!

-Pat
What about filtering by mac addresses? Unauthorized users won't be getting my mac address any time soon.
>don't they need to know what your RAdmin
>password is in order to make a connection?

Yes, they'll need a password.

>It shouldn't matter if somebody else get's your DNS

Than why to use IP Filter at all?

>What about filtering by mac addresses

Faking the MAC address is as much possible as faking the IP address. And sometimes it isn't possible to resolve a MAC address back, so filter won't work.

However, the feature you mentioned is in our Wishes list and maybe implemented later.

Best Regards,
If remote users are required to enter a password for a connection, than that should be secure enough. Let the RAdmin server administrator worry about the DNS.

<<>It shouldn't matter if somebody else get's your DNS

Than why to use IP Filter at all? >>

If the server owner is responsible with the DNS, the ip filter is still a very valuable tool.

<<>What about filtering by mac addresses

Faking the MAC address is as much possible as faking the IP address. And sometimes it isn't possible to resolve a MAC address back, so filter won't work>>

You're right, stupid idea smile:D
Sorry, above post is mine
Thanks for considering this for future releases.
yes, DNS with IP filter! Would really love to see that in the new version. smile:)
>If the server owner is responsible with the
>DNS, the ip filter is still a very valuable tool.

We were talking about IP Filter which is used to identify clients, and not about the ability to identify servers by their DNS names!

Best Regards,
<<We were talking about IP Filter which is used to identify clients, and not about the ability to identify servers by their DNS names!>>

Yes, yes I know, I think we are just mis-understanding one another. You said:

<<These hostnames can be assigned to anyone. They are not permanent and may be assigned to another computer next week. DynDNS is dynamic DNS - just like dynamic IP. So it seems Radmin's IP Filter is not for you. smile:-( >>

The server owner would need to be responsible about updating the access list. If in fact, the client's DNS was lost, and received by another person, the owner would need to remove that DNS from the trusted list. However, if that DNS was picked up by somebody else, that person would still need to know what the RAdmin server password is. So there really isn't a security risk at all.

So why use the ip filter at all? Well, in most cases the client will make sure that his/her ip address is udpated with that dyndns name. Why have a dynamic DNS at all if you're not going to keep it updated?

Also, the new version shouldn't have support for only dynamic DNS's! I, for example, have a DNS which is registered for another 3 years. This is a very good idea that should definitly be in future releases. However, Famatech might want to put a warning about dynamic DNS's in the help file of that new version.
Please could someone tell me very simply how I can connect with a remote computer which has a "Dynamic" IP address. Is it possible in any way?

My IP address is a static one and there is NO problem with the remote computer connecting to mine.

I look forward to hearing from you asap.

Tanks

Mike
Pages: 1