Topics list
New topics
Search
Rules
Help
Login: 
Register

Pages: 1
  Views: 6915Topic: closed: «Radmin 2.2?» on forum: Famatech Software Good Wishes
Ok, there is a Radmin 2.2 that just showed up for download. I downloaded it but did not install. The readme does not state the changes from 2.1. What is the deal with this one?
Some small security updates from what I heard.
After install I found that the setup for NT security has been change to match the 2000/XP look. Other than that I don't see much. I was hoping for the Video Hook driver but no dice. smile:(
New features in v2.2:

- Radmin prevents incorrect Server configurations. Radmin Server 2.2 does not allow empty passwords.

- New, fully OS-integrated NT security system with NTLMv2 support. Now permissions for Radmin connections can be set to users from trusted domains and active directories.

- Smart protection from password guessing and DoS attacks. This protection includes such features as anti-hacker delays, attacker IP banning, etc.

- Server password protection. Radmin Server 2.2 actively protects encrypted password hashes, which are stored in the system registry. Only a user with administrator rights can access this registry branch.

- Radmin Server 2.2 starts as a service and doesn't start as an application on Windows NT/2000/XP/2003, which greatly improves security.

- Separate installion of Server and Viewer.

- Improved Radmin Server setting interface.

Best regards,
Gregor Petrov
Famatech Technical Support
Best regards, Gregor Petrov, Famatech
Ilia, two quotes from your earlier memos;
The question is does 2.2 address the mapped drives problem, or does forcing the server to run as a service mean mapped drives can no longer work under NT/2000/XP... smile:o

16th June 2004:
- Radmin Server 2.2 starts as a service and doesn't start as an application on Windows NT/2000/XP/2003, which greatly improves security.

14th September 2003:
File Transfer doesn't work with mapped drives if Radmin Server is run as a service under WinNT-based OS. On NT machines mapped drives are created by credentials of user that actually map them. If you create them and RAdmin is started as an application everything's OK. But if you create them and RAdmin is started as a service, it has credentials of "localsystem", and they are different from credentials of user that map network drives. As a result, RAdmin cannot access network/mapped drives. Unfortunately, there is no way to access mapped drive of another user - it would be a great security hole. So you have the following ways:

1. Run Radmin Server as an application with credentials of certain user
2. Use Windows 95/98/ME on server machines
3. Use other technique than mapped drives - for example, some virtual drive software.
Thanks. I have seen some that say that this info is in the readme but I did not see it.

The only minor complaint is that the .exe file is now 1.77mb. I used to tell people that it was small enough to fit on a floppy disk. Oh well smile:)

Maybe as a small suggestion you could have seperate install files for the server and viewer.
If you read the "End User License Agreement" when you install 2.2, it appears that you are only eligible for minor releases such as 2.3, 2.4, etc but not major releases such as 3.0 (if it would ever come out). smile:?:
Just found it interesting.
Upgrades from version 2.x to 3.x will be free for registered users.

Best regards,
Ilia Demenkov
Teachem!

Yes, mapped drives can no longer work under NT/2000/XP. This limitation is a sacrifice for greater security.

Best regards,
Ilia Demenkov
Pages: 1