1. Make sure TCP/IP protocol is properly installed on both computers (you can check that by PING command. Run IPCONFIG.EXE to find out current TCP/IP configuration and IP's of both computers).
2. Run RAdmin server on the computer you want to control remotely. This computer will be called "remote computer" or "server", and computer you are connecting from is called "local computer" or "client".
3. People from the remote side must tell you the IP address of the remote computer.
4. Make sure, that both computers are connected to network and you can ping remote computer from local computer (use PING command for that).
5. Run RAdmin viewer on the local computer, click "Connect/Connect to" menu, enter the IP address of the remote computer. If all is configured correctly, you will see remote computer's desktop and be able to operate it by mouse and keyboard! See RAdmin documentation for details.
If you can't connect, there is things you must check:
- Make sure that port 4899 is opened on remote computer (you can use any
freeware port scanner for this, for example - Advanced Port Scanner
that can be downloaded for free from www.radmin.com)
- If one remote computer uses modem connection, it will be better to get
permanent IP address for it, or you will need to get it's IP each
time it is connected to your ISP.
- If your remote computer is connected to network via proxy or firewall,
make sure that firewall's configured to allow all connections on port 4899.
- If your remote computer is in LAN, has no real IP, and your local
computer is not in the same LAN: please configure your LAN server with
real IP to forward all connections on port 4899 to remote computer,
and use your LAN's server IP instead of remote computer's IP in
"connect to" dialog.
To find out local computer's IP address, go to Start->Programs->MS-DOS Session (or Start->Programs->Command Prompt in NT-based Windows), type ipconfig.exe (winipcfg.exe in Win95) and press Enter key. You'll see IP address(es) assigned to this computer.
Another way to know the IP address of the computer is to move your mouse pointer over Radmin Server tray icon. It will show you the list of IP addresses too.
Famatech Technical Support