Topics list
New topics
Search
Rules
Help
Login: 
Register

Pages: 1
  Views: 17008Topic:: «Does Radmin work on private IPs?» on forum: Network management general discussion
Hi,

I wonder if this is possible to use radmin. We have linux LAN server. such that, linux is the only machine that has public IP and is visible to internet. All other PCs have PRIVATE IPs. This is a recommended set-up since this is more secured from hackers. Now, is it possible that we can access some of our PCs using RADMIN? HOW? Please give me feedback soon.

As I have stated above, Linux PC is our gateway PC. As I search the forum, everything will be done thru Port Forwarding. Is the port forwarding be done on the router or on the gateway PC? What is the best way to do it? Do I have to map all IPs and associate it with specific port on router?

Please help me on this.

Thanks In Advance,
Neil
There are two solutions to access remote computer behind a router/firewall/proxy. The first is configuring an intermediate host to forward all connections on port 4899 to the target computer. The second is installing an additional copy of Radmin Server on an intermediate host and using "Connect through host" option when connecting to the target computer.

Radmin uses 4899 TCP port by default. You can open such a port on the router/firewall. Another solution is to change the Radmin port number - on both the Server and the Viewer - to the value of a port that is already open on your router/firewall. If your firewall works under Windows you can install and start the Radmin Server on it. Then you can connect using 'Connect through host feature of the viewer. Sometimes only the router has a public IP address. In this case you have to configure 'Forwarding' on a router/firewall. Configure the router to forward connections from some port on the router to a specific IP address and port (the default port of Radmin server is 4899) of the computer on your internal network. You need to assign a port on the router for each computer you need to access. After that, to connect to a computer behind the router/firewall from the Internet you need to specify the IP address of the router and the port on the router that corresponds to your computer in the internal network. The router will then forward connections to computers in the internal network.

"Connect through host" option (available when creating new connection in Radmin Viewer) lets you to connect through an intermediate host when there is no direct TCP/IP connection with the computer you want to administer, but an intermediate computer (or host) does have a direct TCP/IP connection to both your target computer and to your local computer. Radmin server must be running on such an intermediate (host) computer for this to work. Example: You have a local network without a direct connection to the Internet. However, there is one computer on that network that does has a direct connection to the Internet. If you install Radmin server on that computer to make it an intermediate host, you can connect to other computers in the local network from the Internet through that intermediate host.

Note: If NT security permissions are used, it's advisable to grant users Redirect Right.

Best regards,
Ilia Demenkov
I am not sure if i got u right. I am not also an advanced network administrator but i wish to solve this problem myself and of course, with your help.

our network setup is like this:
router->linux server -> pc1
-> pc2
-> pc3 ...etc.

Now, as i understand your post, our linux server must be the intermidiate host. Does Radmin works on Linux? I prefer to have the "Connect thru host" solution.

Thanks,
Neil
Does Radmin works on Linux?

No, you cannot run Radmin Server under Linux.

I prefer to have the "Connect thru host" solution.

Unfortunately, "Connect thru host" is not an option if the intermidiate host is running Linux. You will have to setup port forwarding.

Best regards,
Ilia Demenkov
Pages: 1