Topics list
New topics
Search
Rules
Help
Login: 
Register

Pages: 1
  Views: 8127Topic:: «Call Back Function, One very useful function» on forum: Famatech Beta Testing
My Remote server is behind a router. To my knowledge if a server is moved from one router port to another router port, The remote access will fail unless you fiddle with the port forward function inside the router!

I believe this problem can be solved by a Call-Back function which tells the client which router port the server is currently connected automaticallly, so the client finds it's remote server auickly and with out manual fuzz.

I am not sure if the new Beta has call-back function, I hope so! If not does anyone one know when it will be incorporated? Anyone else has the same problem as I do?

Thanks
The lack of a call back function is one feature I definately prefer about RAdmin.

How do you expect to tell the remote machine to call you back if you can't get through the router?

A call back feature is a security liability in a remote control application, and should NOT be implemented in a product like this.
i love having 2 firewalls one built in to my laptop windows xp and one behind the wireless router so far only thing ez to use is comuincation cliant on radmin websight call back feature is a wonderful thing to do to compeat with instant messanger programs like yahoo that works around firewall in router every program you use comes with pros and cons if you think there is too meny cons to this program find some other program please.....
It has nothing to do with security. The call-back is from the router, not from Radmin server.
if the router calls back on both sides the only thing people would need is the real ip still to connect right?
Call back doesn't seem to be enabled in the beta, but is promised in the production version.

It's one of the main reasons I've been hoping for version 3. Hope it is released soon.
John Logajan wrote:
Call back doesn't seem to be enabled in the beta [...]
It's one of the main reasons I've been hoping for version 3. Hope it is released soon.

Can your give examples of remote control software with a "call back" feature?
Are you guys referring to UPnP?
Robert Pan wrote:
It has nothing to do with security. The call-back is from the router, not from Radmin server.

I am using Radmin between an office and a home machine. The port blocking at work is set up in such a way that I can connect to the home machine from the office, but not to the office machine from home.

I thought that "call back" could be used to overcome such limitations without intervention at the router level. Do I have this wrong?

Something like "waking up" the Radmin server on the office machine, perhaps by e-mail, to have it initiate a connection. Do I still have it wrong?
Can your give examples of remote control software with a "call back" feature?

Team viewer is one. Webex is another - expensive though.
These allow you to remote control clients machines without having to worry what firewalls are in the way. This is essential if you're supporting average users that know nothing about ip address etc. Radmin needs to catch up with these companies.
Tim,
Usually there is a "Directory Server" that sits on the internet and both client and slave make outgoing connections (Which by the way most routers dont block anything outgoing by fefault) and when the client chooses to connect to the slave it uses the connection that was already eseblished to the DS. Here is an example of a company doing this.
http://www.remote-anything.com/en/security.htm
They are unique because you actually purchase and run your own DS which im guessing famatech is going to do. It is very secure and the cost benefits versus time explaining to a client how to install radmin and walking someone through opening a port on their router is very helpful.
Bobby Brady wrote:
Usually there is a "Directory Server" that sits on the internet and both client and slave make outgoing connections

Bobby,
After reading through the documentation on link you provided, I can only conclude that both sides must initiate a connection to the DS (which is NOT tranparent to the remote user) or that a connection tp the DS is initiated on the "Slave" (i.e remote) machine at bootup and maintained continuously. That would be the ONLY way to be able to "wake up" a server running on the remote machine when it is unattended.

I dunno how big a 24x7 TCP connection would go over. Maybe it would be OK but the process would be involved.
Jim
Pages: 1