Topics list
New topics
Search
Rules
Help
Login: 
Register

Pages: 1
  Views: 10760Topic:: «How do I chat with an other pc» on forum: Famatech Beta Testing
Hi, i've installed server and client on 2 pcs

When I connect to the other pc, and typ some words. Nothing shows up on the other pc

If I use the client twice, we are in the same channel, but we cant send messages

How do we send messages to each other.

Excuse for poor English.

Elwin
Nothing shows up on the other pc

Make sure RCC is stated on both computers, and RCS is started on one computer only. Connect both RCC copies to the same RCS.
Yes, then it works.

But now you have in orde to connect to connect to a computer and that computer has to connect to itself too.

That's not very useful is it?
That's not very useful is it?

This is correct.

But don't forget that RCS is intended to be used as corporate online conferencing and meeting tool.

In other words, it's supposed that there are a single Server and 100's of Clients who connect to this server (and not to each other).

I would advice installing and running RCS on an application server or a domain controller.

Certainly, you can still use RCS & RCC on only two computers, but using RCS in an enterprise environment is much more advantageous.

Best regards,
Ilia Demenkov
The design is perfect, but i thought it was possible to simply connect to a pc on which server is installed. And on that pc a popup dialog showed up with the text message you send (in case of chat)

Is this only during the 'CS period' or will it be also in this way on the official release of radmin3 server.
Guys/Gals, You are missing the point here. The beta just released is a substituto to IMs such as ICQ/MSN but with the advantage that the server run in a system which is comtrolled by a given company. That is, the workers of such company can still enjoy the benefits of IMs in a enterprise level without both the spam from a global server as well as the extra security that messages are not sent outside of a given network (except if some client is outside of it, but it would still not go to a public server).

So, RAdmin as we know with versions 2.2 then 3.0 beta is one product for remote handling of a system while the new product RCS and RCC is a substitute for general IMs in a controlled enterprise level. So, please do get to know what you are actually testing so that we get to ask/reply on the pertinent topic smile:)

So, in the original topic of this thread the idea would be to have the server running in a given system in the enterprise and all clients connected through such server. If, however, one wishes to test the features using just two computers it can be done, as long as one of them act up as a server, but the real thing would be to have both connected through a dedicate (or not) server. A web server (or file server) in an enterprise could make up an excelent server for RCS wheer RCCs would connect through.

I do hope this helps to clears things up smile:)
i thought it was possible to simply connect to a pc on which server is installed. And on that pc a popup dialog showed up with the text message you send (in case of chat)

You can add shortcut to "Rcomclt.exe /connect:localhost /chat" to Start->Programs->Startup folder to be always available for chat.

It's just like adding ICQ client to Startup folder...

I guess we'll add the function to create such shortcuts automatically during post-installation wizard in the final release.

Best regards,
Ilia Demenkov
Jauvane Oliveira!

You are absolutely right! Thank you for explaining all this stuff. I guess even our PR Manager could not do it better. smile:-)

Best regards,
Ilia Demenkov
hi..
i think the chat and voice function are both cool features, but i'd prefer a client to client function, as Elwin Dokter explained it:
Elwin Dokter wrote:
but i thought it was possible to simply connect to a pc on which server is installed. And on that pc a popup dialog showed up with the text message you send (in case of chat)

And i think that many non-commercial users would prefer this methode. :)
i'd prefer a client to client function

Peer-to-peer method is more suitable for consumer messengers, while for enterprise use client-server technology is preferable.

And i think that many non-commercial users would prefer this methode

RCS is a commercial software intended mostly for corporate use.
I am new to this, so I have to ask, to be sure if I have got this right; the Radmin Viewer 3.0 is to be used for connections outside local networks, and the
Communication Client 3.0, together with Communication server 3.0 is to be used only for local networks?
If so, will there be another update on the remote admin server 2.2 to implement new functions, or is the RCS 3.0 version ment to be used under both conditions?
and the
Communication Client 3.0, together with Communication server 3.0 is to be used only for local networks?

No. You can use port forwarding.

Kjell Arne Johansen wrote:
If so, will there be another update on the remote admin server 2.2 to implement new functions, or is the RCS 3.0 version ment to be used under both conditions?

RCS is not a replacement for Radmin 3.0, RCS is an another product!

Best regards,
Ilia Demenkov
In my business environment, it would be nice to be able to login and have a buddy list with other people in the organization (like of using msn or aim but in this case it would be secure and private). RCS seems to be more of a chat room than an instant messenger.

For instance a teacher in room 13 could send an instant message to the teacher in room 22 to ask if they want to go to lunch. This would be more appropriate than asking the person in a chat room environment where multiple people in the organization could see it. All of these instant messages could be logged to a file on the server.

RCS seems to be pretty good for very small meetings in a very trusted environement, however, my organization would rather meet in person than to join a chat room. RCS still needs the extra security features that I mentioned in my earlier post:

<<<<<<<<

Is there a way to grant a user operator access to the #general channel?

I have some ideas to greatly enhance the communication server. There should be more security attributes under RAdmin security and WinNT security. Instead of just having, "all access", "chat" and "audio chat", there should be an administrator security attribute. This administrator security attribute should give the user operator rights to every channel regardless of who created it. Also, another operator should not be able to remove the operator rights from a user who is granted this administrator security attribute. A user with the administrator security attribute should be able to kick users and edit chat messages (after all there is a mute option, why not kick?). There should also be an option for administrators to control which users can access certain channels. For example, an administrator could create a channel that only other administrators could view. A user with the administrator security attribute should also be able to make announcements, which show up in every open channel such as "Server will be shutting down in 10 minutes for scheudled maintenance! Please try connecting again in one hour."

There should also be a security attribute to allow a user to create a new channel, instead of just giving all users rights to do it.

There should also be an option (disabled by default) to allow annonymous access (user must enter a nickname but is not required to enter a password) to certain pre-specified channels. For a large meeting, it may not be desirable to setup user accounts for every person that is to take place in the meeting. Even a meeting with over 10 members could be tedius to setup.

Lastly, there should be a way to disable a user (not completely delete and have to re-create) so they can't join until the administrator re-enables their account. This could serve as a temporary ban function.

I think these changes would greatly enhance the communication server by increasing the security and putting more options into the hands of the people in charge. What do you guys think?

Pat >>>>>>>>>>>

I think if all of these features were implemented that you'd sell more licenses of RCS, including to my organization.

Pat
RCS seems to be more of a chat room than an instant messenger.

That's true. However, we are going to evolve RCS further to meet users' needs.

Best regards,
Ilia Demenkov
Sounds great I hope the options I mentioned are implemented! Please give them thorough consideration! Thanks you!
Pages: 1