Topics list
New topics
Search
Rules
Help
Login: 
Register

Pages: 1
  Views: 5559Topic:: «Feature Request, File Transfer Resume» on forum: Famatech Beta Testing
When I am transfering a large file and for some reason the transfer is halted it would be nice to be able to resume the download. The protocl could roll back a few kb to ensure stability of the file and then resume the download from that point onwards. I'd guess that this feature would be useful for others as well.
Jauvane Oliveira wrote:
When I am transfering a large file

RCS does not have file transfer feature!

it would be nice to be able to resume the download

It's already implemented in Radmin 2.x. If connection was lost during file transfer session, the beginning of the file will be written anyway. Re-connect, try to transfer the same file to the same location once again and select "Overwrite". Only the ending of the file will be transferred.

Best regards,
Ilia Demenkov
I was not refering to RCS, but Radmin itself. I often use the RAdmin Viewer Beta 3.0 and that's the one whose message above reffers to (after all isn't this the Beta Testing forum? (not necessarily RCS specific).

In any event, using RAdmin Viewer 3.0 beta I have never seen the "Resume" option you reffer to. I just tried with RAdmin Viewer 2.2 and the resume option did not show up as well (In fact I have just tried with RAdmin Viewer 2.2 (server is 2.2) and only "Yes", "Yes to All", "No" and "No to All" showed up in the "replace file" pop up that came in when I attempt to resume a file transfer that I halted for testing purposes). No 'Resume' option was available and in fact the transfer did restart from scratch once I selected the "Yes" button in the pop up mentioned herein.

Could you please elaborate on the "Resume" feature you reffer to? I use RAdmin server 2.2 and viewer both 3.0 beta and 2.2.

Last but not least I'd like to add that RAdmin has been extremely useful to me. I use it very often to access/control my computer at work from home and vice versa, when file transfers are rather frequent.

Keep up the good work!

JVc.
In any event, using RAdmin Viewer 3.0 beta I have never seen the "Resume" option you reffer to

This is not an option, this is a feature which is always enabled.

Here's an extract from Radmin 2.2 help file:

Radmin has a feature used when copying files that allows updating only a part of the file which is different on both machines. This feature is called "Delta Copy" since only files difference ("delta") is copied. It allows continuing copy operation after network faults from the place where fault occurred and not from the beginning.

This feature is used automatically when any file is being copied to or from the remote machine. For each section of source and destination files, Radmin Server and Radmin Viewer calculate control sum, and this sum (several bytes) is transferred over a network and compared. If sum is equal, this means that corresponding files portions are equal, so no data for this portion is set and next portion of both files are examined. Actual file data will be transferred only for parts that are different; witch allows continuing interrupted copy operation and updating only part of files that are actually different.

Best regards,
Ilia Demenkov
Ilia --

I am not convinced this feature is functioning in 2.2

We use 2.2 Server and Client to routinely download 100 MB files.

When a download fails, we have tried the restart sequence mentioned above. What we have noted, is the copy takes longer. Clearly something is going on but it is not to our benefit.

It seems to be faster to delete the partially copied file and start afresh.
Steve Hyde wrote:
When a download fails, we have tried the restart sequence mentioned above. What we have noted, is the copy takes longer.

Sometimes "delta copy" works incorrectly, so it takes longer than expected to compare pieces of files. This will be fixed in the next version.

Best regards,
Ilia Demenkov
Pages: 1